Sunday 8 November 2020

Some completed Sun King 1670s units:

An Imperial Swabian Circle regiment - Baden-Durlach.
The uniform was a grey coat with carmine stockings in 1675 (according to B.Mugnai, Wars and Soldiers in the Early Reign of Louis XIV, Vol.2 - The Imperial Army 1657-1687).
I got the flags from that ever useful site Warflag.com; they are for a later date, but I am guessing they were in use earlier.




A more hypothetical unit - a regiment of foot from the Bishopric of Munster. Some time far in the past I came across a reference that claimed the uniform was grey, with buff trousers, white socks and green facings, so I have gone with that. As for flags, I have made my own, based on contemporary images (using the Internet): one being that for the prince-bishopric (yellow and red stripes), the other for the Christian Bernhard von Galen, the prince-bishop (his personal coat of arms). Probably not at all correct for such a unit to carry, but they look okay!



No comments:

Post a Comment