Sunday 6 June 2021

I have been busy rebasing my Sun King 1670s foot regiments to a narrow frontage; they are now on three bases of eight figures each instead of six bases of four figures each and I have incorporated the flags into the units instead of having them as a separate base. Here are some photographs of Dutch regiments - Gardes te Voet, Aylva and two battalions of Nassau-Friesland.






Gardes te Voet.

In rebasing the units, I ended up with quite a few spare figures, so I decided to make a unit of Gardes te Voet (Dutch Guards). The uniform in the 1670s certainly seems to be accepted now as a blue coat and a sort of yellow mustard facing, but while there is plenty of evidence about the regiment's flags from 1688 onwards (once they were stationed in England following the Glorious Revolution and the accession of William III to the throne), I have found very little about the flags from before that date. I do not think they would have had the Garter Star which is featured on the post-1688 flags; why would it appear on flags of the 1670s? Surely it would have been a flag more appropriate to William's position/titles at that time? The unit was given to William as Stadtholder of the United Provinces in 1672 as his guard regiment, but paid for by the province of Holland, so I have used a Maverick Models flag which shows the Dutch lion, surrounded by a motto ribbon (I'm not a good enough painter to write it, but I think it would be the County of Holland's motto - VIGILATE DEO CONFIDENTES), with gold laurels on an orange background. Feel free to correct my assumptions!

The Nassau-Friesland Regiment of Foot
(this regiment was one of the few units in the Dutch arm to have more than one battalion).




The Aylva Regiment of Foot
(this unit was also a two battalions regiment).

No comments:

Post a Comment