Monday 18 October 2021

Yesterday I went to SELWG 2021 at the Lea Valley Athletics Centre. I have not been to a convention since 2018 and was very much looking forward to the event. I was not disappointed. It was an enjoyable day out, with plenty of traders to view and a range of demonstration and participation games to see of varying periods and quality. It felt a comfortable size for such an event - unlike SALUTE, which always seems rather large to me - with a nice atmosphere and an airy, well-lit location, easy to get to and park at. All credit to SELWG for organising such a pleasant convention. My companion had been to PARTIZAN the weekend before, so was more restrained with his spending, but I did buy quite a few books and various odds and ends, as well as something off the Bring & Buy, which I rarely have luck at.

The good thing I find about conventions is the chance to view figures or find ranges that I was not aware of, given I do not trawl the Internet in the search for such things. I was very pleased to discover that Battlezone Miniatures have Classic Barbarians, all in the style of the Grenadier Models barbarians I bought decades ago, but my greatest pleasure was discovering that Reiver Castings now have a range for the Franco-Dutch War of 1672-1678 that is pretty compatible with North Star's range and far more extensive - French, Dutch, Spanish, Imperialist, Brandenburg-Prussia and British.

I took some photographs of the event's games:























2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I like that a goodly number of the tables were sized so that you could take inspiration and then play it in the home setting on a dining table. The ‘O’ Group game looked very nice since those are the rules I am getting to grips with a the moment.

    These airy spaces make good venues in our Covid times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos Adrian. I enjoyed the show, it was great going to one again.

    ReplyDelete