Thursday 7 March 2024

Last week Steve, my regular gaming opponent, came round for a game. I opted for the 1670s again and chose a scenario from the online magazine "Warning Order" (which I highly recommend; there is a link on my blog to the WFHGS site), which I adapted heavily for the late 17th Century. Steve, as the French, was tasked with intercepting an Allied convoy, commanded by me, as it progressed across the table. I had a mixed force of troops to defend it, most of which were not visible on the table at the start, only being revealed as the French moved into positions to see them. I had put several infantry regiments in the village and farm, but this turned out not to be the best idea! Steve's cavalry broke through in the centre and destroyed quite a few wagons, while he used some infantry to by-pass the village and strike the rear of the convoy. I eventually defeated most of his cavalry and blocked his attempt at the bridge, but by then he was well ahead on points by causing so much damage to my wagons. I was pleased that some amendments to the rules I had made in the wake of our last game worked well. A very enjoyable game.

Table was 6 feet by 4 feet; figures almost all North Star 1672; wagons are mainly from League of Augsburg/Warfare Miniatures; rules are my own for the period. Here are some photographs:

The table set up ready. The river can only be crossed at the ford and bridge. The two leading French cavalry brigades are on the table to the left, either side of the wood; the Allied screen of cavalry and hussars is in the centre, supported by a light cannon.

The head of the convoy can be seen passing through the village along the main road,
heading for the bridge.
The Allied hussar regiment. They proved less than useful,
fleeing the field as soon as they were charged by the French cavalry!
These are Old Glory figures.
The Dutch Kurland Horse Regiment with two squadrons.
Commissaire Général and Villeroi Horse Regiments.
La Reine and Royal Cravattes Horse Regiments.

The Allied commander, i.e. me.

The supply convoy making its way very slowly across the table.
A siege mortar in transit - I do not remember the manufacturer of the wagon and gun, but the horses are from Colonel Bill. It is followed by an ammunition wagon.
This is one of my favourite wagons from Warfare Miniatures.




French infantry moving onto the table: Grancey to the left, followed by Anjou.
The hussars fleeing the field!
Dutch cavalry - Ginkel and Nassau-Friesland.
Steve decided to send his right-hand cavalry brigade over the ford at first, but they soon came back again once they encountered Dutch foot in the woods.



Dutch foot - Reede. The flags are homemade.
French foot - Turenne at the front, followed by two battalions of Picardie.
Anjou in the lead, followed now by Douglas, a Scots regiment
(later to become the British 1st Foot, Royal Scots).



Back go the French cavalry over the ford!

Grancey attacked the farm, wherein was a Dutch infantry regiment. The assault was unsuccessful, but it was a useful way of testing my new built-up areas combat rules.
A wagon about to be destroyed.

Allied dragoons - the Austrian Lodron regiment. I inadvertently forgot about them being hidden in the copse on the hill for a few periods, then I could not really decide how to use them! In the end, they just took pot shots at any French cavalry passing nearby, which was not very effective!

Another wagon seized by the French.
Reede Foot Regiment put up a good fight for a while, holding back the French infantry beyond the river.
Lodron dragoon horseholders.




Reede Foot Regiment having broken and run, Ingen-Nielant Foot Regiment took over the defence of the bridge. Again, these are homemade flags.

At this point, the game was called in favour of the French, who had wrecked seven of the nine wagons in the convoy by this time. I only managed to get two away to safety!


1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a Warning Orders scenario getting played. I really enjoyed the photographs, thanks for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete