Monday 23 May 2022

I went off to Partizan 2022 at the Newark Showground (UK) on Sunday last with Steve, my regular wargame opponent. I have not been to this show for many years, so it was interesting to see how it has changed - a much better location for traders, gamers and visitors, although difficult to get to by public transport on a Sunday, which meant we drove over two hours to get there. It was very busy and barely a face mask in sight! The event seemed well-organised to me and there was plenty of room to get around most of the time; it was certainly user-friendly for mobility impaired attendees as far as I could tell. There was quite an age range in evidence, it was nice to see youngsters as well as oldsters, although the latter were by far the greater in number. Anyone dropping in for a look would think it was a pastime for white males in their forties and upwards I would think! Business seemed brisk at the trade stands, but I was there for the morning, which always seems the busiest time at conventions I have attended. I had an enjoyable time and admired many of the demonstration games. However, by mid-day it was quite warm and stuffy inside so I retreated to the car park for fresh air and lunch. Although there were plenty of traders in evidence, only a few catered for my interests - which are rather in a minority, except ACW - so my purchases were limited, which is probably a good thing, given the stuff still to paint in the garage this year and the rising cost of living! I bought brushes, paints, a few 25mm metal draught horses and a few old rulebooks.

I took pictures of the demonstration games, which covered a wide range of periods and showed a great deal of effort on the part of those involved. Some of them were outstanding exhibits for the hobby. I have not labelled them, as I lost my event map on the way out somehow! Nonetheless, I hope they are of interest.


































2 comments:

  1. Many, many superb looking games! Is the Napoleonic game with the bridged, deep gorge, the action at Coa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a "Sharpe in Spain" style 40mm game I believe, in memory of Ian Smith, who passed away before he could complete it.

      Delete