Friday 13 October 2023

It is American Civil War week in my new schedule for keeping up with my various wargaming interests. I did not manage ant painting, but I was keen to have a game, to I made one up using the first scenario from C.S. Grant's Programmed Wargames Scenarios book - Hill Line Defence. I used the terrain map, adapted for A.C.W., and the mechanics of the scenario so that I played the defender and pre-programmed the attacker. However, I always alter the suggested forces according to period - no need for so much cavalry in A.C.W. for example. Plus I have the feeling that his Horse & Musket forces are designed with 48 figure Line Infantry, 24 figure Light Infantry and 24 figure cavalry units in mind.

Anyway, after some jiggling of sides, the Union in defence had eight regiments in two brigades, plus a battery each, while the Confederates on the attack had thirteen regiments in three brigades, plus two batteries. In addition, each side had a brigade of four regiments and a battery coming as reinforcements - not part of the scenario, but I just fancied adding them in! They would arrive from Turn 6 onwards, subject to a die roll.

I set up the table and then deployed my Union defenders. Then I did the pre-programmed bit for the Confederate attackers, which came out with them attacking on both wings, with the centre demonstrating to fix the defence. I planned to play for twelve turns. Victory depended entirely on one or the other side holding the line of hills by the end of the game.

Rules used are my own, adapted from an old set by Jacklex Miniatures, to make them suitable for regimental level. They are like Fire & Fury rules, from which I have selected a few ideas as well. The figures are Perry Miniatures 28mm plastics, which I really like, plus metal mounted officers. The table is my default 6 feet by 4 feet. Most of the snake rail fencing and stone and rail fencing is homemade; trees, hills, roads, houses are all commercial.

Anyway, the game proved to be an embarrassment for me! I was outplayed convincingly by the pre-programmed Confederate general. I kept strictly to the requirements of their battle plan and it led to the collapse of my defences on both wings! By Turn 6 the writing was already on the wall; by Turn 10 it was all over. In spite of that, I really enjoyed the game.

Here are the photographs, plus captions on some of them.






























































2 comments:

  1. Thanks, enjoyed this very much. I played this scenario last year with Wars of the Roses armies, so it was nice to revisit it with your splendid ACW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The scenario book is always a handy fall back, just for the map and mechanics.

      Delete