Monday 8 January 2024

A Happy New Year to everyone! I hope 2024 proves prosperous, healthy and relaxing for all of you.

When planning a game to put on for fellow wargames, I normally just make a sketch map of the table and work out the sides in rough, with appropriate scenario rules. However, today I was fortunate to have access to the dining room - all seasonal visitors now being gone - and set up the table to try a refight of the Battle of Hoechst from 1622, using my 1672-78 figures. This allowed me to experiment with the force ratios more easily and the scenery, as well as give the scenario victory conditions and rules a run through. As the game unfolded, I also decided on several alterations to my "Sun King" rules. Hoechst is an interesting action as it involves a big marsh as well as having to cross a river and seize a bridge covered by fieldworks. Plus the deployment of both sides, especially the defence, is rather unusual. In this case I did not use my usual terrain hexes, just the old faithful felt top table.

Anyway, I played the game solo for twelve turns, myself as the attackers - the French - with the defenders - Dutch/Allies - as the non-player. At the end of the game, the defence was still holding on and managed to win on points, my efforts to break through on the marsh being foiled, while my cavalry on the right wing had the worst of the close combat and my infantry were barely engaged.

Here are some photographs and some have captions for information or to develop a few points arising from the battle.

P.S. I noticed too late that the French right wing cavalry picture should say "right to left", starting with La Reine. Apologies!





































































1 comment: