Tuesday 18 January 2022

Here is the map for my Thirty Years War campaign:


Apologies for the quality, I am sure there are many of you out there who could produce a much better quality map with suitable software, but I am not as skilled or as patient! And my scanner is not working, so I had to settle for a photograph instead!
Briefly, the main powers are Spain/Spanish Netherlands, France, the United Provinces, Denmark, Sweden and Austria, along with Bavaria, the Elector Palatine, Brandenburg and Saxony. Movement from external powers into Germany is along the thick arrows into a province; movement within Germany is along the arrows between provinces. Each power has either one or two armies; each year has three seasons for moving and fighting, one season for consolidating acquisitions. Armies can be redeployed to a new starting point or region under a power's control each year. Each power has specified objectives to fulfil. If two opposing powers have armies in the same province, a battle is fought; winner keeps the province, loser retreats to where they started; a draw means both sides retreat. I will publish a more detailed version of the campaign rules soon.


2 comments:

  1. Perfectly functional map. You could look into using a map from a published boardgame and capturing the map from a VASSAL module. GMT's "Won by the Sword" area movement wargame comes to mind as something that may be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the "Won by the Sword" map, it is excellent, and would be good for a campaign of more detail, I think. I also have the old S&T Thirty Years War game and used that map in part as a basis for the one I am using now. I will look into the VASSAL modules idea.

      Delete